CB Design Wheels - Features
CB Design Wheels are designed to enhance the performance and appearance of 1/32 slot cars. The CB Design Wheels all feature a hubless design and does not require inserts (except, of course, the Insert Wheels). CB Design Wheels offer the following features and benefits:
- Great designs that complement a wide variety of 1/32 slot cars makes and models.
- Precision machined using state-of-the-art CNC machine tools which ensure CBD Wheels are perfectly round and the axle bore is concentric with both the outer wheel surface and longitudinal axis of the axle.
- Perfect concentricity between the axle bore and longitudinal axis of the axle is achieved by designing all CBD Wheels for a specific axle (Slot.it SIPA01). Tolerances between the axle bore and axle are very snug. When mounting or dismounting CBD Wheels on the recommended axle, resistance will be noticeable. Again, this is by design - the snug fit ensures concentricity is maintained when the set screw is tightened. The result – ZERO wheel wobble or vibration which translates into better performance whether in a straight line or while cornering.
- Sturdy, race proven design. Some of our competitors wheel's achieve lighter weight at the expense of the durability. Ultra-lightweight wheels can be prone to "bending" - particularly when subjected to "offs" and hits during actual racing. Once bent, the wheel "wobbles" which in turn adversely affects the car's performance. In contrast, CBD Wheels are designed to be raced under the most demanding conditions - rest assured they will survive crashes and trips to the floor!
- True hubless design provides exceptional flexibility when adjusting the rear track width. This is particularly important when rules specify the wheel/tire must be completely inside the fender and/or a maximum track width. Sidewinder setups can be especially challenging in this respect. CBD Wheels provide serious racers the ability to run wider tires under a greater variety of cars than our competitor's full and "small" hub wheel designs.
- Easy to locate the retaining set screw using small dimples machined on both the inside and outside of wheel. This is especially helpful if the tire is glued to the wheel and you can’t easily peel the tire back to locate the set screw.
- Designed to work with Quick Slicks tires, CBD Wheels were designed and tested to ensure the tire contact patch is as flat as possible.
- Affordable alternative to other manufacturer’s more costly high-performance wheels.
Tips For Using CB Design Wheels
To ensure the best possible performance and to prevent inadvertent damage to the axle and/or CBD Wheels, please review and follow these tips.
- Use ONLY the recommended axle - Slot.it (tm) part number SIPA01. As mentioned previously, CBD Wheels were designed specifically to fit this axle. Note that other manufacturers "3/32 inch" axles and drill blanks do NOT have the same EXACT outer diameter as the Slot.it (tm) axle. As a result, these axles and/or drill blanks are either too small (loose fit = wobble/vibration/hopping) or too large (wheel will not fit - the wheel will be damaged if forced on).
- Use a new axle. Used axles often have scratches and/or foreign material present on the outer surface which can prevent the CBD Wheels from fitting onto the axle properly (yes - the tolerances are that close...).
- Ensure the inside face of the wheel is perpendicular to the axle before pushing the wheel onto the axle. When the axle is lined up properly with the CBD Wheels axle bore, minimal effort should be required to push the wheel onto the axle. A small but noticeable amount of resistance is normal - this "snug" fit is part of the CBD Wheels design. Never force the wheel onto the axle!
- Even with precision machined parts, there will be some variation from one part to the next. This holds true for the recommended Slot.it (tm) axles and CBD Wheels. Occasionally you may have an axle with a slightly larger than normal outer diameter and a CBD Wheel with a slightly smaller inner diameter (axle bore) - the result may be a very "snug" fit. When this occurs, slowly twisting the CBD Wheel as it is being pushed onto the axle will sometimes help. Again, don't force the wheel on the axle!
- If a given CBD Wheel cannot be pushed onto the axle after following the tips above, try using another (new) axle if one is available.
- Don't overtighten the retaining set screw! The set screw just needs to be snug - overtightening can strip the threads in the wheel. This tip applies to all aluminum "set screw" wheels - not just CBD Wheels.